The 10 Golden Rules presented from the client’s perspective under Find a Consultant are presented below from the perspective of a consultant delivering services to that client.
- Ensure the job to be done and the client’s expectations are fully described, and that your team’s expertise matches these.
- Ensure that you are properly briefed – with all pertinent facts.
- Provide comprehensive written proposals which address the brief.
- Make sure the ‘chemistry’ between the consultant who will carry out the work and the client is right.
- Provide references of relevant capability and notify the referees that you have used them.
- Keep the client informed on the progress of the assignment.
- Consult widely within the client organisation.
- Ensure that client staff ‘buy into’ or ‘own’ the recommendations by involving them as early as possible.
- Ensure that the final report contains no surprises.
- Ensure the client is well prepared to implement the recommendations.
For more detailed guidance, see Selecting a Consultant and Find a Consultant