Management consultants bring four major benefits to assignments which cannot be combined in any other manner:
Consultants offer an independent, impartial, fresh viewpoint free of personal interest, pre-conceptions or existing traditions and loyalties.
Management consultants work with a wide variety of clients and frequently tackle problems which confront any individual client only once in a decade or more.
Management consultants are trained in a range of analytical skills and know how to concentrate on the main problem areas and define the requirements for solution and benefits to be gained.
Consultants can devote full-time attention to the assignment free of the executive responsibilities of client managers.
All members of the Institute subscribe to a Code of Professional Conduct and Certified Management Consultants are certified against international best practice standards.
The situations where a consultant can help are extremely varied. Typically, they arise where:
- A problem is known to exist, but the organisation does not have the time, experience or the staff to tackle it.
- A problem is known to exist but neither the symptoms nor underlying cause can be determined by anyone within the organisation in a completely unbiased way.
- The organisation has tackled the problem itself already but has not resolved it.
- Expertise is needed to introduce new technology, new techniques and/or fundamental change in the organisation’s structure, nature or business direction.
- A conflict of views on future policy exists within the organisation and an independent, skilled assessment is needed.
- Specialist experience or expertise is required which does not exist within the organisation and secondment of a management consultant for a period can help determine the type of permanent staff to be required.
- An independent appraisal of proposed changes is needed to confirm and/or amend the organisation’s plans and help implement them.
- In the smaller organisation, there is a need to import a particular type of knowledge or expertise for a period to deal with such matters as market research, product development or diversification, strategy, marketing, IT, human relations etc.
For more help, see Appointing Consultants or Find a Consultant.