The Health Research Board (HRB) is a statutory body under the aegis of the Department of Health with responsibility for supporting and funding health research in Ireland and providing evidence to inform specific health policy and practice for the Department of Health and the health system.
The HRB’s mission is to improve people’s health and wellbeing by investing in expertise, providing leadership, engaging with citizens and delivering excellent research, data and evidence. The HRB employs 65 people, has an annual budget of €50 million (in 2019), and has an active research funding portfolio of €200 million.
The CEO of the HRB will drive the development and delivery of the HRB’s vision, mission and overall direction as articulated in its draft Corporate Strategy 2021-2030. Reporting to the Board, they will develop the role and influence of the HRB as a leading national funder of excellent and relevant health research and a trusted provider of information for healthcare decision-making and policy development.
The successful candidate will be a strategic leader and an experienced manager with a strong knowledge of health research, excellent communication skills, and who is good at building positive relationships and capable of delivering change. They will be driven to improve health through research, evidence and data. The successful candidate will be a highly energetic individual, with the ambition to deliver on demanding strategic development plans.
Application and further information
Applications to be submitted online to www.mazars.ie/Consulting/HRServices and must include:
- A cover letter (max length of 2 A4 pages) outlining why you wish to be considered for the post and where you believe your skills and experience meet the requirements of the position of Chief Executive Officer;
- A comprehensive CV clearly showing your relevant achievements and experience in your career to date.
For more information, contact the Mazars Executive Recruitment Team on +353 (1) 449 4400.
No enquiries or canvassing should be made directly to the HRB.
Deadline for application: Monday, 18th May 2020 at 5pm GMT.
Applications will not be accepted after the closing date.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate:
- Strategic leadership with a proven track record of consistent delivery of results at senior management level;
- Significant and appropriate professional experience, ideally in a research environment;
- A proven ability to develop and implement a high level of strategy and policy and have proven experience in operational management with significant resources;
- A strategic understanding of health research, health information systems and evidence at a senior level in a research and/or research management environment;
- A good working knowledge of the health system and of the societal and economic value of health research;
- Excellent communication, collaboration and influencing skills to drive change, develop collaborations and proactively communicate the value of health research and the role of the HRB at national and international level;
- A strong understanding of and ability to oversee effective financial management and corporate governance at the HRB.
The following requirements are desirable; however, they are not essential:
- Evidence of experience in building and maintaining enthusiastic, high-performing and motivated teams;
- Exceptional communication skills, the ability to positively influence policy and direction at senior levels within an advisory capacity, and the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders and to speak publicly