Enterprise Ireland’s Leading in a Changing World strategy 2022–2024, sets ambitious targets to create an additional 45,000 new jobs and increase exports by Enterprise Ireland client companies to €30bn.
This is an exciting opportunity to help Irish companies achieve a competitive advantage and make a significant contribution to the Irish economy.
Enterprise Ireland is seeking applicants for the role of Executive Director. This role reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
The new Executive Director will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team, will contribute to the strategic direction of the Agency and will be responsible for the delivery of organisational targets and achievement of strategic priorities.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the work of three core operating divisions, with a collective annual budget responsibility of more than €100M. The Executive Director will be responsible for the following divisions, each led by a Divisional Manager with a team of senior managers:
- Industrial, Life Sciences and Construction: This is Enterprise Ireland’s largest client division including engineering, materials, packaging, medical technologies, pharma and construction. This division is also responsible for growing the number of High Potential Start-ups in these sectors as well as having responsibility for EI actions under the Irish Government Housing for All strategy.
- Food, Agritech and Sustainability: Food is Ireland’s largest export and this division consists of clients in primary meats, dairy, drinks and prepared consumer foods including food High Potential Start-ups. The sustainability team is responsible for EI’s own sustainability strategy, client supports for green transition and two growth portfolios including agricultural technology and sustainability-focused businesses.
- Regional Development and Local Enterprise: This division, distributed across Ireland, has responsibility for a large portfolio of regionally based clients. It is also responsible for strategic development of enterprise infrastructure in regional Ireland, including major capital investment programmes. The Local Enterprise Office Centre of Excellence is responsible for relationships with and service level management of the 31 Local Enterprise Offices around Ireland.
The Executive Director will ensure world class client service is at the core of Enterprise Ireland’s approach. They will work directly in partnership with the team and with client companies in key sectors, and with national and regional stakeholders to maximise client companies’ growth in global markets and deliver jobs across Ireland.
In addition, the Executive Director will be responsible for the achievement of ambitious export and job creation targets set out in Enterprise Ireland’s Strategy, Leading in a Changing World. They will lead on policy for their areas of responsibility and will work across the Government system and with other industry stakeholders to achieve strategic alignment of Enterprise Ireland’s activity with other Agencies and Institutions. They will also deputise for the CEO as appropriate and will represent the agency both nationally and internationally.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Provide leadership across Enterprise Ireland and its client base, working directly with the CEO as a key member of the Enterprise Ireland senior leadership team.
- Lead the implementation of Enterprise Ireland’s Strategy “Leading in a Changing World” and on delivery of a wide range of strategic and operational targets across several divisions.
- Manage Enterprise Ireland’s engagement with key industry sectors across several divisions.
- Provide strategic direction and management for Enterprise Ireland’s responsibilities with respect to Regional Development and Local Enterprise, including close liaison with Local Enterprise Office leadership, Local Authorities, political stakeholders and others.
- Lead the negotiations of significant financial support packages for clients.
- Provide thought-leadership, share insights, experience and knowledge of new business models, transformational change and strategic approaches to achieving corporate growth.
- Develop existing and new collaborative relationships with key stakeholders to benefit Irish enterprise including Government Departments and other state bodies as well as industry bodies and representative groups.
- Enable continuous performance improvements and play a key role in developing and guiding consistent procedures and strategies to support the future needs of Enterprise Ireland and its clients.
- Provide leadership in the implementation of organisation wide change programmes and initiatives to enhance organisation performance.
- Exhibit an ability to work across organisational boundaries, using excellent collaboration skills to lead cross functional teams, including in areas of all-organisation focus, such as Diversity and Inclusion, Wellbeing and other People Strategy initiatives.
- Ensure that Enterprise Ireland maintains the highest levels of Corporate Governance and accountability.
- Develop colleagues across Enterprise Ireland and ensure that the organisation retains a strong base of skills to effectively work with client companies to deliver services to industry and stakeholders.
- Oversee the deployment and management of substantial staff and financial resources across Divisions.
The ideal candidate will be deeply purpose-driven with strong personal values and will demonstrate evidence of an excellent track record of strategic delivery and achievement in a highly client-focused environment.
They will have significant experience as a senior business leader, with excellent people leadership and communication skills. Experience of engaging with external stakeholders at a senior level is essential.
Application and further information
For further information and to apply for this role visit www.mazars.ie/executiverecruitment and search Ref. EIR0122.
Applications should be made online and should include:
- A cover letter outlining why you wish to be considered for the role and why you believe your skills and experience meet the requirements of the role and;
- A comprehensive CV clearly showing your relevant achievements and experience in your career to date.
All enquiries relating to the role should be directed to the Executive Recruitment Team by email at email@example.com or by telephone on +353 (1) 449 4400.
Mazars will be managing all aspects of this recruitment project on behalf of Enterprise Ireland.
No enquiries or canvassing should be made directly to Enterprise Ireland.
Deadline for applications: Monday, 14th November 2022 at 12 noon.
Enterprise Ireland is an equal opportunities employer with a strong emphasis on diversity, inclusion and equality at all levels of the organisation.
The successful candidate will be deeply purpose driven with strong personal values and deep commitment to the role and be able to demonstrate evidence of:
- Excellent track record of strategic delivery and achievement in a highly client focused environment, while meeting challenging business targets is essential
- Significant experience as a senior business leader and a detailed understanding of business and of the key influencing factors and challenges facing the development and sustainable growth of internationally focused companies is essential
- Excellent people leadership skills, with the experience in engaging, developing and nurturing lasting relationships with teams is essential.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to influence at a senior level and experience of engaging with key internal and external stakeholders is essential
- Ability to act as a thought leader and a spokesperson for Enterprise Ireland is essential
- Demonstrable commercial experience, strong judgement and a track record of facilitating significant financial negotiations
- Experience, at a senior level, of significant change management projects and strategy and policy development and implementation.
- A proven ability to communicate with clarity, working through people to translate strategic priorities into high performance goals.